Wednesday, September 7, 2011

What Wine Lists Have the Best Values?

Buttermilk Channel in Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn, has an excellent all-American list, with many good values. 

Great high-end wine lists abound. They may offer vicarious pleasure, but ultimately are frustrating as they include so many wonderful wines that are beyond most budgets. Great low-end lists are another matter. They are testimony to the taste, creativity and determination of the sommeliers who diligently put them together.

In my column this week, I picked 10 exemplary New York lists with good selections of wines for $50 or less. The choices are somewhat arbitrary in the sense that any limited selection requires omitting worthy lists. For example, I focused on full restaurants and did not consider wine bars.

No doubt, many of you may have your own candidates for the list, and you may even disagree with some of my choices.

I’d love to hear your reasoning. Even more than that, I’d love to hear about which wine lists you would have included. While I restricted myself to New York City restaurants, please feel free to include candidates from anywhere. And if you want to include links to the lists you are suggesting, all the better for the rest of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment